Sunday, June 28, 2015

Learned v. Learning


learned and learningI really do like learning new things, especially things that I am interested in learning about. Knowing something new that I can put to use and share with others gives me a sense of purpose. I am also a supporter of the concept of learning through failure. Many times I have been working on a block of code or practicing a section of music and felt like I was hitting my head on a brick wall but I persisted and eventually made my way over the hump to some semblance of success.

This week I was definitely reminded of how painful learning can be. Have I learned this week? I have indeed. The process of peer reviewing was extremely helpful and I am wishing that we had done more of that prior to this point even if it had been with anonymous drafts from previous years. I think comparing a peer review we completed to one done by a professor with significantly more expertise in this area would be a valuable educational experience. We did a peer review in a previous course of the program but that was before really understanding what a literature review entailed. I'm not sure if that could be worked in to future instances of this course (probably not if it is kept as a four-week course) but I thought I would throw that idea into the mix.

I try to remember that while learning can (and probably should) be painful, the end result is worth it even if the final product is imperfect and incomplete. I shared one of my favorite videos in our Google+ community this week. I have seen it shared at many conferences but it never spoke to me like it did this past week. 

Austin's Butterfly:



My literature review has evolved from a collection of disparate thoughts to a sketch of an outline to a more developed outline supported by an incomplete annotated bibliography to being supported by a more complete annotated bibliography to an actual first draft (very, very rough and very, very incomplete) to a second draft (still rough and incomplete but with a little more clarity in structure) to the third draft in which I am currently swimming. I have gone from that initial drawing of a butterfly to one that at least resembles an actual butterfly. It's still not pretty. It's certainly not anywhere near ready for inclusion in a dissertation but it has begun and is likely to continue to evolve until I submit the dissertation for review. 

To any future UM IDT students, all I can say keep trying. It will be painful. There is no way around it. Avoid any procrastination. Start reading academic research about topics of interest NOW, even if you aren't in the program yet. You may even want to start keep some notes for a future annotated bibliography. Starting now will give you the freedom to absorb and digest the concepts and give you time to let the ideas marinate in your mind. Synthesis is so much easier and far less painful when it is allowed to proceed at natural pace rather than forcing it into a short course timetable. 

Off I go to continue writing. I am comforted by knowing by this time next week, the next draft will be completed and turned in and this course over. However, the journey continues as will this blog. I intend to continue to use this to document my journey through the program. 


No comments:

Post a Comment